Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Environment of Information(Assignment 9)

With the fast pace of growth of technology, particularly in the IT field, there are many fields in which there is an information environment. Because there is a need for information technology in corporations and organizations now, there will always be an information environment available for IT professionals, its just what they choose that matters. For me, I really want to try out to be a part of these so called information environments. But what is an environment anyway?

Here is an article that I got from the Internet that tackles and talks about an information environment. Actually, it doesn’t say much, so I’m also gonna put definitions from other resources. Usually, what I could find in the Net about Information Environments were from the military of the United States of America. So, here it is.

“What is the Information Environment?

The concept of a "physical environment" is one that we understand well. We talk about the environment in general, and that has come to specifically mean our natural resources: the lakes, the streams, the land, our oceans and air. We can also talk about specifics of the environment that contribute to an immediate purpose. For instance, if we want to go swimming, we can talk about if the lake is free of fish or if the water is a good temperature for swimming.
If we are talking about the "physical environment of a room", such as a classroom, we can talk about the physical attributes of the room: the color of its walls, the cleanliness of its floor, the placement of windows, the temperature and the like. We can also talk about the attributes of the room that contribute to its specific purpose: whether there is a computer in the classroom for students, whether the chairs are comfortable, if the VCR is functioning, if the video feed is "wavy", and so on.

We also talk about the "political environment," which is not a physical environment, but an environment of ideas, attitudes, laws and emotions. For instance, if a law is proposed, legislators have to consider the political environment. Is there a sense that the general population would accept this law? What would be the consequences if the law was passed? What would be the consequences to a particular legislator (like the proposer of the legislation, particularly!) if it were even proposed? And this process of consideration would include the economic situation of the country (a related system), whether the proposer is about to retire (personal consequences), and the implications of the implementation of the law.

The information environment shares attributes of all of these definitions of an environment. It is both a physical environment and an environment of ideas. It is the ways that information is being presented to us, the kinds of information that is being presented to us, and the impact that that information has on us. And "us" means "us" as people living in an information-rich society, as well as "us" as "professionals". Without carrying the analogy too far, we can understand that in this context, information is all around us.

With this very broad definition, our information environment includes advertising, nutritional labels on cans of soup, and messages on our microwaves and the signs on our highways. These, by in large, we leave to others.
When we consider the information environment, we need to consider these aspects:
• The technologies being used
• Laws and policies - and rights and ethics - governing the transfer of information
• The impact of all of this on the information professional, and on the user
• Our changing sense of community
Information professionals have always focused on the information technologies of importance to its users: books, videos, maps, sound recordings and the like.”

This article is like a general definition of an information environment, right? Here is a more likely IT-related definition of an information environment.

“An information systems environment is an area in which information systems professionals apply management systems and technology skills professionally in an organization. An environment does not and cannot constitute a single, focused knowledge area such as applications in mathematics, art, technology, law, statistics, or desktop publishing. Instead, an environment represents an ecosystem in which information systems are employed. The environment surrounds and impacts the systems and technologies that support it and whose inputs, processes or outputs are closely intertwined with their information system.”

I got this definition from a fellow IT student, and I think it’s good. I just don’t know where that student got this definition. Well now, we’re going to proceed to the real deal.

As an Information Technology student, I really want to be in an information environment where there is IT-related tasks and so on. Of course, that’s why I took up BSIT here in USEP-Obrero, right? Actually, I’m also not sure of what information environment I’m going to be in when I get a job(if I get one,hehe). But I have many interests, and all of those information environments interest me. It’ll just depend on whether my skills as an IT student will be qualified for those particular environments. But for sure, I’d have to focus in one so I can work at my full potential.

Being an IT student, there will always be something related to programming in your course. And that’s also one of the reasons why I took up IT, so that I could learn programming. One of the information environments that I would like to be in would be in an environment like this, where I make programs and information solutions for a company or an organization. The thing I like most in programming is that I get satisfied when I make a program that runs good and does all the functions that it needs to do. I could be in a third party company making programs for companies and etc., or I could be an in-house programmer, and make and maintain the information system of the company that I work at.

Or I could be involved in a web developing environment. I really like surfing the Net, and I like how it works. Although I’m still not good at web design, but I can learn if I have the resources needed for it. That’s my problem now, I don’t have the resources. But that’s another story. The Internet is now almost like a necessity for people. Research for students, communication between families, entertainment, social communities, finding partners in life, entrepreneurship… almost all can be done in the Internet now. That only implies that there is a need for people that make web sites and maintain it. Those people from the web developing community are the ones responsible for that, and I’d like to be a part of that environment. The Internet is very useful for people, and I’d like to be a part of those people that do useful things for mankind (Wow).

I would also like to be in Multimedia, whatever it may be, as long as it has computers involved in it. Like in animation. Whenever I see movies like Shrek, Ice Age and other CGI movies, I always say to myself “I’d really love to make 3D animation”. I even imagine if I can make a mini-movie all by myself in 3D, and I’d do it all by myself. The direction, the 3D rendering and modeling, the script, the plot, the audio, everything! But I now I can’t because you need to have a team or another company to do that. I also love graphics, I just really don’t have the resources yet, hehe. And I’d also like to be a sound engineer, where you mix, edit and record songs by using particular audio software. I also have a passion for music, so my passion and my interest in computers blend with each other.

I also have an interest in hardware and networking and other stuff related to that. It’s just that I think IT doesn’t focus much on that. But I really have a knack for it. Whenever I se technicians setting up and doing their thing in Internet cafes and the like, I observe and be like “chismoso” and see what they’re doing. Also my cousin told me that the technicians in their company, which are CISQO certified, have high-paying salaries. Where there’s a big salary, that’s where we go, right? So, no need to elaborate. hehe.

These are the reasons why I took up BSIT. By being an IT professional you are qualified for different fields of work, only if it fits the Information Technology category. When you take up IT, you may be able to work in different information environment that suits your interest.

How can the principles of information organization and representation help you in performing this role?

Well, I got the definition of the principles of information organization from the past forum, my thanks to them, for that’s also where I got the definition of information environment.
• Knowledge needs to be organized for communities
• Designing tools to support the organization of knowledge
• Guiding principle must that be that of user orientation and predominant usage
• Standardization and networking provide infrastructures, which facilitate effective and efficient access to information and documents

I would just generalize all of the information environments that I would like to be a part of with these principles of information organization.

For the first principle; Knowledge needs to be organized for communities:
Of course, in every company or organization that you’re gonna work in, there has to be knowledge that has to be organized, because if there’s none, then that could be total mayhem for the company. If your company is a big one, then knowledge has to be classified and organized. I can’t imagine the risks and the consequences if there would be misleading information and false knowledge in a company. Just think about it. For example, for a website making company. A large company hires them to make a website, and the web developer puts wrong information on the website, like let’s just say for a example a phone number for the client company. Many customers that inquire or need help or want to order or whatever they want to do would be really pissed off, and will be complaining to the company… All because of wrong knowledge and inaccurate data. That’s just how I put it. Or for example, a programmer makes a software for a company. One error in the content of the code could mean a loss for a company that has that program, and that loss could be money, reputation, etc. That’s how important organized knowledge is to a particular information environment.

For the second principle; Designing tools to support the organization of knowledge:
This is where software development comes in. For specific information environments, there has to be a set of tools, programs and applications needed for the company to be able to function properly. If you’re a programmer, you need to have a programming language that suits you, or you must be knowledgeable of what programming language the company wants you to utilize. If you are in multimedia, then you must use what graphics application software that you have mastered. In networking, you have to get the tools required for your job. Not just hardware, but also software.

For the third principle; Guiding principle must that be that of user orientation and predominant usage
Of course, what you do in the company, the tasks associated with it, you have to know it, and also your fellow workers.

And lastly, for the fourth principle; Standardization and networking provide infrastructures, which facilitate effective and efficient access to information and documents
In the company, where there a lot of people involved and working together and are interconnected with each other, you have to have an effective network topology that will increase the speed of communication and also will be budget friendly, depending on the income of the company. With this in hand, then the functions and tasks in the company will be more effective and will be more progressive. It will also lessen up the time for the work if the work involves networking.

What are the challenges facing you in performing the role? How will you address these challenges?

There are many challenges that I will be facing when I will be in an information environment. I will just state here the challenges that come to my mind right now.

Myself. If I will be working in an information environment, I must have discipline for myself. I have to be hardworking in my work, just like all my fellow workers will be doing. I mustn’t be late in work. I must follow what my boss says to me and must do it in time for the deadline, if there is. And I’ll just be absent if I really have an important excuse for it.

In an information environment, I must expect that I will be working with a team or if not, then other personnel. There are issues sometimes that fellow workers have arguments, and I must not be one of those workers. I have to a develop a camaraderie between my fellow workers so there will be no hindrance to the flow of work in our department. In short, there has to be chemistry,hehe.

Also, you have to be particular with the hardware and software that you’ll be dealing with when you work. What the company provides you; you have to make use of it. If you complain about it, then it’ll be a possible “kick out” for you. You’re just a worker following orders, and you really have a thick face (bagag nawong in bisaya) or in serious terms, boastful if you do that.

Well, I think that’s where my assignment ends.

No comments: