Sunday, July 11, 2010

SAD 2 Assignment 1

Assuming you were tapped by the university president to evaluate the new enrollment system implemented this semester, enumerate your observations/comments and suggest possible areas and ways where improvements can be made. Your observations/suggestions should be properly validated with facts and literatures... (you may start with the diagrams posted in the strategic locations of the university)... (1000words).

Talking about the enrolment system, recently, I just enrolled for the first semester of my fifth year in the university. My enrolment experience goes something like this.

I almost forgot. I also enrolled for my practicum this summer. For the practicum, I got pissed off with the enrolment because my clearance got lost during the signing process, and I don’t if were left in an office or something like that, because our clearances were all grouped into one for the benefit of those who would sign there. So what I did was I got a fresh new clearance paper and let the assigned officers sign it all over again. As tiring as it may sound, I did not have any choice because my summer practicum relied solely on it. Then after I let all the dignitaries sign, I went on to enroll for my summer practicum.

When it was time for our year level to enroll, I told my adviser that I would be absent for one day. Then, I enrolled for the first semester of my fifth year at school. Unfortunately, because the enrolment process in the university takes too long, eventually, I did not get to be enrolled on the day when I said to my adviser that I would be absent. That was a Friday. I had to go back again to school for Monday to continue my enrolment. Luckily, I finished my enrolment on Monday, but it was a minus for my on the job training because it got extended.

Basically the procedure of the enrolment is like this.

  • First, you pay all your miscellaneous fees (OCSC Fee, Local Council Fee, Collegiate Headlight Fee)
  • You let yourself be advised on what subjects you can take, but first, you present the necessary papers (receipts from the miscellaneous fees, ID and clearance). After you are advised, you are given a PRF (Pre-Registration Form) to fill up with the subjects you may enroll in.
  • You fill up your PRF with your subjects and give it back to the adviser, He or she then signs it. You are now ready to be encoded.
  • You go to the encoder to be encoded. For scholars, they have to bring with them their scholarship cards (different for every type of scholarship you are in). Then it depends on the encoder when you can get your C.O.R. (Certificate of Registration).
  • If you are a scholar, you go to the bookkeeper to make sure that you still have your scholarship. If you are a non-scholar, you go straight to the cashier to pay.
  • The registrar is your next stop. You go there but you have to present some documents, like your receipts, clearance and ID.
  • Last is the librarian, where you renew your library card.

As a student who also experienced the enrolment system of the University of Southeastern Philippines for the past 4 years, I have made some observations regarding the enrolment process of the University. These are just some points of views as a student, and not as a professional whatsoever. But nevertheless, I would tell all of this to the university president if he taps me to evaluate the enrollment system. Here are some of my observations.

1.) LOCATION

If I were to be in charge, I would want to expand the areas were usually many students are found lining up, just like the area where the cashier, registrar and the bookkeeper are located (College of Arts and Sciences Bldg., Ground Floor). Every time the enrollment comes, you always see lines here that go way up to the second floor because there is not enough space. If the place was strategically and carefully thought of, then there would be enough walking space for the passers-by and enough space for the enrolling students to stand in line.

2.) ADDITIONAL WORKFORCE

We all know that with additional manpower, work will be faster, right? Same goes here for the enrolment process of the university. With more people accommodating the students, lines will be lessened and students will no longer have to come back to school for 2 to 3 days just for enrolment. For the time being, there are 1-2 bookkeepers, 3-4 registrars and about 2-3 cashiers…all for the whole university. If these numbers are increased, then maybe, just maybe, we could see fewer lines or queues during the enrolment process in the university.

3.) FASTER ADVISING

I ‘m not a teacher, but I think I should comment on this. There are times that advising takes up a very large amount of time on the enrolment process. That’s what I experienced last enrolment. I think that our adviser was not only our adviser, but the adviser of many sections as well. I was in line for almost a half day and yet, I did not get to be advised because I was still in line and the time was 5pm. I was so pissed off, but I couldn’t do anything because that was the rules. I had to come back the next day.

4.) PUNCTUALITY AND TARDINESS OF THE STAFF AND FACULTY

Sometimes, those people who need to be early are those people who come late in school, or sometimes are not in school, and eventually, are the ones to blame if the enrolment of on student takes too long. I myself have experienced this, because there was a time that our adviser promised to come early in the morning, but came to school about an hour before lunch. My whole morning was wasted, and I really expected to be advised in the morning and quicken my enrolment because I wasn’t finished with my duties for my on the job training. Because many hours were lost with my enrolment, additional hours were added for my practicum.

5.) SECURITY OF DOCUMENTS INSIDE THE CAMPUS

As based on experience, I did not experience this. My clearance, which is a vital element before enrolment, got lost during the time of signing. I asked all the possible offices that my clearance might have been left or misplaced, but they all said that there was no clearance with a “Roy Laurentino D. Cuevas” on it. Sorry for me. But I couldn’t put all the blame on them, because there is a possibility that we students are the ones to be blamed on lost documents and the like, because we are the ones that handle our papers. But on my part, there was a witness that my clearance was still in our folder, and after it was given back to us, mine was gone, and the other clearances were still there. To save time, I just did the signing process all over again. And to note, my library card got lost with my clearance, so I’ll have to do the necessary stuff to get a new library card.

6.) PUNCTUALITY OF GRADE SUBMISSION

There are times that all we are waiting for are the grades to be given to us by our professors. But the problem is, there are times that those professors who are to give us grades are always not around and are hard to find, and if they are there, they just say that they haven’t computed the grades. Grades are important because they are needed for advising the students. The adviser can’t just advise the student if there are blank fields on his or her passbook, because the adviser bases on the passbook on what to advise the student.

7.) MISINFORMATION

The right information is essential, especially for the newcomers. It would add up to the delay if they didn’t know where to start or what the next step is. That would be the help of the different pictures and signs posted all around the campus about the enrolment. Problem is, sometimes they are not strategically placed, so the enrollees sometimes miss them. And the signs say what office to go to, but if you’re a newcomer, surely you don’t know where that is, right?

8.) ENROLMENT DURATION

Beforehand, there are signs on billboards that tell us when our enrolment is and how many days it should take for a specific year level. I think they should lengthen up this duration, because they always extend their enrolment. Why not just allocate a lot more time for enrolment, right? They just give the enrollee the fear of being a late enrollee, and having to pay for being one.

9.) SERVICE WITH A SMILE

I don’t know about you, but I think there’s a 1 in a 100 chance that the officer you are facing doesn’t smile. Right? I don’t know if this could speed up the process, but I would really like it if the staff would just smile while doing their work. If they say that they don’t smile because of their work, then why work there in the first place. And they’re the ones who are in a more conducive environment, with the aircon in their rooms and all, while we students stand in line for hours. I think if they liven up their service, then they can transact their work better…and maybe faster.

I think that’s all I can say for the matter. Speeding up the enrolment process is very important, because some students have to go back to their respective “bukids” after they are enrolled. And like for me last semester, where I had to go back to my on the job training. Time is a very essential element in all things, and the enrolment is not an exception. We should be mindful of it, and use it wisely.

No comments: